10.12.2004

mama said

mapless places require a certain discipline i can't really muster
sometimes i wonder whether i should listen to my mother
when she tells me to keep my knees together
and my foolish heart on ice
until some fellow comes along and pops the question
and we shall exit church as everyone is throwing rice
or maybe i should concentrate on my career
and build a peerless resume
and invest prudently in 401Ks
and buy a home
and lock the door and throw away the key
and be as safe as anyone could be
i should run five miles four days a week
and order salads and drink vitamins with my skim milk
and be as slim and dull and silent
as someone in a women's fitness magazine
and wake up dead one day and wonder where i've been
or perhaps this safety that comes so highly recommended
are not the little deaths they seem to be
and the stubbornest, most foolish person here is me

No hay comentarios.: